Preparing For A Happy Christmas With Your Pet

shutterstock_150782918

Christmas is a special time of year but it can also be the busiest time of year for a veterinary practice. Did you know there are many Christmas hazards that can affect your pet?? We have devised a list of these Christmas hazards below to ensure your pet has a great Christmas too!

We are open for emergencies 24/7 throughout the Christmas holiday

Call 01543 262464/262433

Hazards around the Christmas Treeshutterstock_117192514

  • Fallen Christmas tree needles are very sharp and can easily get stuck in your pet’s paws or throat. Sweep tree needles up regularly or fence off your Christmas tree to separate your pet and tree.
  • Do not hang chocolates from your Christmas tree. Chocolate is highly toxic to dogs and they will be tempted if they can see and smell them.
  • Cover up electric cables and flashing tree lights so your pet can’t chew them to avoid risk of electrocution.
  • Try using fairly lights that don’t flash as some pets can get very scared of these.
  • Christmas tree decorations can cause a nasty accident or be fatal to your pet. Cats and young pets especially, will show a great interest in decorations hanging from your tree. Try to use unbreakable decorations and nothing too small. Avoid tinsel or ribbons as these can cause problems within the gastrointestinal tract if your pet swallows them.
  • Make sure your tree is well anchored so your pet can’t pull it over.

 

Poisonous Plantsmistletoe

  • Holly, Mistletoe, Lilies, Yew tree, Poinsettia, Christmas Rose and Ivy are all poisonous to pets and must be kept well out of reach.

Bones

Eating cooked bones can cause many problems in cats and dogs than many pet owners would expect. Some pet owners believe that a cooked chicken leg or a lamb chop is a treat for their pet, but the bones can splinter when chewed and can get stuck in the animal’s throat or gastrointestinal tract. Signs to look out for include:

  • Vomiting
  • Choking
  • Lethargy
  • Abdominal discomfort
  • Pain
  • Salivating

If your pet has swallowed a bone or displays any of the symptoms above then please contact your vet immediately. Pool House runs an emergency service 24/7 throughout the Christmas period.

 

Chocolate, Raisins & Alcohol

  • Christmas is a time of year when there are always boxes & tins of chocolate hanging about. Chocolate contains an ingredient called Theobromine which is highly toxic to pets and if a large quantity is ingested could even be fatal. Keep chocolate out of reach to prevent accidental ingestion.
  • Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in pets, make sure that Christmas cakes and mince pies are kept out of reach.
  • Alcohol is also very toxic to pets so this should also be kept well out of reach.

 

2009DI09454aOther potential Christmas hazards

  • Loud noises may panic your pet, such as Christmas crackers, poppers, balloons and champagne bottles. (Dogs have also been known to eat the corks!)
  • Remove Christmas wrapping paper (and toys) from the floor to avoid your pet chewing or swallowing it.

 

 

Food to avoid feeding your pet at Christmas (& always!)

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Chocolate
  • Coffee
  • Mouldy or spoiled foods
  • Salt
  • Chicken or turkey bones
  • Puddings

Avoid giving your pet any leftovers as our food can be unsuitable for a dogs/cats digestive system and this can cause diarrhoea.

Merry Christmas from all at Pool House

Pool House Vets