Caffrey RIP (1994 – 15.05.2012)


We, at Pool House, are very sad to announce the passing of our companion, our mascot, the wanderer of our corridors, the guardian of our car park, the harasser of all dogs, our Practice Cat, Caffrey.


Caffrey arrived at Pool House in the Autumn of 1996 as a stray Road Traffic Accident with a badly shattered hind leg. After the customary 7-day wait, to see if an owner came forward, he was unanimously adopted as Pool House ‘Practice Cat’. This was not a position to be taken lightly, and Caffrey knew that. The Practice rapidly became his Kingdom – he would sit on the receptionist’s desk and keep an eye on the goings on, but not one to be shy, he would even walk around the waiting room and play staring games with Rottweilers. Other unsuspecting dogs would get bopped on the nose (just so there’s no doubt as to who’s boss!) as they were summoned into the consulting rooms – one or two even had to receive antibiotics for their wounds, for which I’m sure Caffrey would wish to apologize. And as much as he loved a good fuss, it would often end with him biting the hand that stroked him. He was also not above helping himself to the meat in people’s sandwiches whilst their backs were turned!


However, his Kingdom wasn’t limited to the walls of 30 Dam Street, often being seen soaking up the attention of tourists by Minster Pool, frequently dropping in on McDonalds for his favourite cheeseburger. But, it was only after we moved out of town that we learnt of his daily trip to Sharrotts Solicitors for a saucer of milk!


With the move toFosseway Lane, there was concern that an aging Caffrey wouldn’t cope, but he took it all in his slowing stride. The increased security and numerous doors didn’t phase him – he sits regally awaiting the help of his aides to open doors as and when required. He knows a journey through the Practice may take several hours, but he’s in no rush – all in good time. He also took to a new level, his old hobby of sleeping in in-trays. With tighter regulations on animals moving freely around our new hospital, unfortunately his visits and games with dogs in the waiting room were rare, but his ultimate triumph at 14+ years was to drag a rabbit which he had caught through the automatic doors, and parade it in front of all the waiting clients (his position as Head of PR had to be rethought). Latterly, he shared his car park with Phil the Pheasant (grudgingly, I expect), but his tiger-like stealth was no match for the bird.


In the end, he literally ground to a halt. No particular affliction or illness was responsible, other than passing of time. Having been with us for 16 years, and being an adult when he arrived, he undoubtedly led a very long and healthy life. The many individuals at the Practice who had long been his friends and companions all felt unanimously that the time had come to go to the big McDonalds in the sky. We shall miss him.

Pool House Vets